Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Send Money Win Ice Creme

How much will Jay weigh when he gets home?

Announcing a fun contest to guess how much weight Jay will gain or lose during his ten weeks in Nigeria.

The rules are easy. Send a contribution to the Bali Committee along with your guess as to my weight when I return to Minnesota. Make check to Mount Calvary Lutheran with Bali Committee in the notes area. On a separate piece of paper write your name and phone number and what you think I will weigh in pounds (even pounds, no ½ or tenth) when I return in June. I will take the winner out for ice cream. In case of a tie I will draw a name.

Statistics: I weighed 214 on my bathroom scale the day I left. Last year I was at about 212 and returned after 8 weeks and visiting 100 villages I weighed around 195. This year I will be more administrative but will be here 10 weeks. I will going to a few villages. I will be working with the staff on staff development and program development. I will spend at least 2 hours per day on the computer. Last year I lived in hotels and the LCCN guest house and was served breakfast and dinner most nights (always more than I wanted). Lunches were in whatever village gave us lunch or if in a bigger city at a restaurant. This year I am living in a house on the LCCN compound adjacent to the Jimeta Cathedral. I cook for myself. So far I have been taken out to dinner once. I suspect this will happen again. I have not yet explored the area to see what cafes are in the area. We my host and I went out last Saturday to find breakfast we drove a few kilometers before we found a place. So I will probably be eating a lot of sandwiches. Canned meats that I find in the market. Powdered milk. I make sun tea most days and add some bush honey from Bali. Breakfast is quaker oats with honey and bread, orange juice. I will try to get out for a walk most evenings but have not yet made it out.

Send you checks and your guess to Bali Committee, Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, 301 County Road 19, Excelsior, MN 55331. You can give it direct to the Bali Committee at the table in the Atrium the first three weeks of May.

If anyone from the Bali Committee reads this please organize this effort at Mt. Calvary. I just thought it up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment