Friday, June 12, 2009

Rain, Finally Rain

This suppose to be the rainy season. I had visions of southeast asia when it would rain for hours on end day after day. This is a much drier rainy season. This has been an unusually dry and spotty during May and first part of June. We had a few showers in early May then almost nothing. I am told the rainy season is a couple storms per week. Later they get longer.

The fields of maize and other crops that were up and growing late last May in Bonotem Diocese (the southernmost diocese) were dry and bare in early June this year. In the last week we have had three rain showers in Jimeta. Most lasted less than an hour. Today’s was probably the biggest. It lasted about one hour and maybe an inch of rain. We had rain on Tuesday morning at 1 to 2 am. We drove to Bonotem Diocese and the fields were dry only a few kilometers outside of Jimeta/Yola. People are out bent over with a short hoe planting.

The rains have restarted. It is now a steady light soaking rain. Not enough to stop the older football game but enough to stop the young kids that usually play everywhere else. Enough to keep me from walking to the Internet café. I have a can of mixed fruit in the freezer. I will probably make a canned salmon sandwich with fruit for dinner and hope power comes on. This morning was a ham omelet. I have been working on a small canned ham for a few days. Ruth gave me some fresh eggs yesterday afternoon.

The generator does not like the rain and I am out of battery power. It will be flashlights and pencils this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment